To all our Homeowners,
Two residents brought to my attention that East Hill Baptist Church (at Summit and Spanish Trail) has negotiated a contract to sell an outparcel of their property to Dollar General for the purpose of BUILDING a Dollar General Store right on that corner!
· I have attached an information sheet from Mr. Kent Rettig, a concerned resident. Please read it.
· I have complied a synopsis of the information I have received:
– It has just come to light that East Hill Baptist has a signed contract to sell a parcel of their property (located on the corner of Spanish Trail and Summit Blvd.) to Dollar General.
– The sale is contingent on Dollar General gaining approval from our City Council for the C-1 zoning change (which will allow Dollar General to build a retail store right on that corner!)
– Dollar General has already submitted a zoning change request to The City planning board asking them for approval to allow the store to go in. The City planning board already met and approved the Zoning change! Now approval for this zoning change must go in front of our City Council for a final vote.
– This area is presently zoned for residential & mixed use for small business offices. A retail discount store is totally out of character for this area.
– What do you think a retail store (Dollar General) located at that busy intersection do to the amount of traffic already going thru there? Or how will it affect the property values of the homes in the area (our S/D
– Has this been kept very hush-hush because they knew this would be highly opposed by residents of the area?
– There is another church located right next door to East Hill Baptist (I believe it is Cokesbury Methodist?). What would happen if the City Council votes to change the zoning for that area to C-1 status (allowing
for retail building right there) and Cokesbury Methodist decides to sell off all or part of their property? Think about it…
– In order for this to pass it must now go to the Pensacola City Council for their approval.
– Our Mayor will be at the Vickery Center @ 6:00 TONIGHT to hear the concerns of the homeowners. PLEASE BE THERE TO SHOW YOUR CONCERN!!
– Here is a link to the WEAR-TV 6pm news report on the issue. http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/a-rally-being-held-stop-construction-dollar-general-38271.shtml
– There is a group organized on Facebook, No to Dollar General at the corner of Summit and Spanish Trail, if you want to join it.” (As of last Wednesday night I believe there were 485 followers). Here is the link – http://ricksblog.biz/neighbors-protest-dollar-store-coming-to-summit-blvd/
– I plan to contact Dr. P.C. Wu (who is our City Council representative for Zone 1 AND the current City Council President) to let him know I am in total opposition to this rezoning and urge him to vote “No” to this rezoning proposal. Please take the time to add your voice to this issue! You can contact Mr. Wu: by email at email@example.com
– As soon as I know when the City Council puts this item on their agenda (they are trying for December or January) I will let all residents know. And I will URGE everyone to attend that particular City Council meeting.
– I can’t tell any of you what to do about this. It is your decision. I just wanted to share some very important news that I feel affects all of us. PLEASE plan to attend this meeting TONIGHT (Monday, 11/18/13 @ 6:00 PM).
I'm your huckleberry
Tuesday August 4th 2015