The Times-Picayune is reporting that the House gave voice vote approval to an amendment that would dedicate 80 percent of Clean Water Act fines from the 2010 BP oil spill to a new Gulf Coast Restoration Trust Fund. The vote was a key victory for supporters of using the fine money to finance environmental restoration in the five Gulf states, but only a first step. The amendment still needs Senate approval and enactment of separate legislation, called the RESTORE Act, to designate a formula for distributing the money, which could be in the billions of dollars. Read more.
- As pressure increases over inmate deaths, prison head fires 32 guards
- With black vote crucial to Crist, will they turn out?
- Court hears case over redistricting docs, consultant claims conspiracy
- GOP consultant threatens court that its 'intrigity is at stake' over his case
- Crist releases "4,000 lies' response ad to Scott's 'swindle"