The Times-Picayune is reporting that the House gave voice vote approval to an amendment that would dedicate 80 percent of Clean Water Act fines from the 2010 BP oil spill to a new Gulf Coast Restoration Trust Fund. The vote was a key victory for supporters of using the fine money to finance environmental restoration in the five Gulf states, but only a first step. The amendment still needs Senate approval and enactment of separate legislation, called the RESTORE Act, to designate a formula for distributing the money, which could be in the billions of dollars. Read more.
- Political Connections video: Remember when Jim Greer was poised to blow up Crist campaign?
- Rubio campaigns for Cassidy in Louisiana
- High court won't suppress secret redistricting documents
- Fla transportation leader is Public Official of the Year
- FSU trustees praise Thrasher's response to campus shooting