The Times-Picayune is reporting that the House gave voice vote approval to an amendment that would dedicate 80 percent of Clean Water Act fines from the 2010 BP oil spill to a new Gulf Coast Restoration Trust Fund. The vote was a key victory for supporters of using the fine money to finance environmental restoration in the five Gulf states, but only a first step. The amendment still needs Senate approval and enactment of separate legislation, called the RESTORE Act, to designate a formula for distributing the money, which could be in the billions of dollars. Read more.
- DOC investigates whistle-blowers, scrubs audio of testimony under oath
- Obama to visit Florida on Wednesday to urge action on climate change
- Climate change group praises Jeb Bush for 'leadership'
- Hillary Clinton staying away from Fla, but her supporters get rolling
- Tallahassee gift 'ban' no end for freebies