The Times-Picayune is reporting that the House gave voice vote approval to an amendment that would dedicate 80 percent of Clean Water Act fines from the 2010 BP oil spill to a new Gulf Coast Restoration Trust Fund. The vote was a key victory for supporters of using the fine money to finance environmental restoration in the five Gulf states, but only a first step. The amendment still needs Senate approval and enactment of separate legislation, called the RESTORE Act, to designate a formula for distributing the money, which could be in the billions of dollars. Read more.
- Former Florida House Speaker Ray Sansom seeks reimbursement for legal bills
- Putnam's staff wrote hard-hitting opinion piece on Bailey fiasco
- Jeb Bush on a 'third Bush war'
- Fla GOP Chair: We want winner-take-all Mar 15 prez primary
- In Miami, Obama vows to veto any bill blocking his executive immigration action