It looks like BP is trying to be more accurate with its stats. Notice the huge jump from the beginning of the week:
By the Numbers to Date:
* Personnel were quickly deployed and more than 24,000 are currently responding to protect the shoreline and wildlife.
* More than 1,000 vessels are responding on site, including skimmers, tugs, barges, and recovery vessels to assist in containment and cleanup efforts—in addition to dozens of aircraft, remotely operated vehicles, and multiple mobile offshore drilling units.
* More than 1.43 million feet of containment boom and 560,000 feet of sorbent boom have been deployed to contain the spill—and approximately 370,000 feet of containment boom and 1.28 million feet of sorbent boom are available.
* Approximately 8.3 million gallons of an oil-water mix have been recovered.
* Approximately 655,000 gallons of total dispersant have been deployed—600,000 on the surface and 55,000 subsea. More than 340,000 gallons are available.