Following last week’s decision in federal court, third-party voter registration groups are looking to get back to work. Claiming that Florida’s newly passed H.B. 1355 was too burdensome and risky for volunteers, some such organizations suspended registration efforts late last year.
On May 31, Judge Robert Hinkle of the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Florida preliminarily blocked key portions of the law. The judge indicated that a rule stipulating that registration forms must be turned in within 48 hours—or else, risk a penalty—could be found unconstitutional.
Today the League of Women Voters of Florida and Rock the Vote announced that the court’s decision had been assessed and that the groups would soon hit the streets to register voters heading into the upcoming election season.
“Failure was never an option in this battle against voter suppression,” said Deirdre Macnab, president of the state’s League of Women Voters, in a released statement. “Now it’s time for our volunteers to work overtime to make up for lost ground. Our goal? To make sure every eligible Floridian has the opportunity to have their voice heard and vote counted.”
Heather Smith, president of Rock the Vote, noted that her organization would also be returning to Florida.
“Florida is an important youth vote state,” she said in a statement. “This decision enables us to get back to the work of encouraging a new generation of engaged voters and future leaders.”
The League and Rock the Vote were among organizations that have challenged Florida’s H.B. 1355. The recent court decision is preliminary.