Man arrested for string of downtown area robberies

Pensacola Police Report:

A man wanted in connection with three recent robberies and batteries on women has been arrested.

Clarence Lamar Henry, 39, no permanent address, was charged with four counts of battery and three counts of robbery.

Henry was arrested around 10:30 p.m. Saturday after Officer Larenzo Bryant saw the suspect walking eastbound on Cervantes Street around Baylen Street and took him into custody.

He was charged with the following incidents:

– Late Friday night/early Saturday morning, a 24-year-old woman said she was walking to her home on East Government Street from her job at a downtown business when two men began following her around Alcaniz and Government streets.

The woman said one of the times she looked behind her only one of the men was following her. She told police at one point she looked at her cell phone to text a friend when she was struck by the suspect and knocked out. The victim told police her cell phone and wallet were missing.

Around 1:15 a.m. April 17, the suspect entered Sluggo’s, 2403 W. Cervantes St., and had a physical confrontation with two female employees, ages 26 and 29, after ordering some beer and then telling them it was a robbery.

During the incident, he reportedly pushed the younger employee against the bar counter and hit her several times in the face. The older employee said she tried to get the man off her co-worker by hitting him with a broom. Before leaving the business, the man got an undisclosed amount of cash from the register.

– Around 3 a.m. on April 14, the suspect entered the Circle K, 700 Bayfront Parkway, and told a 20-year-old female he needed some cigarettes. While he walked toward the back of the store, she went into her office.

Within about 30 seconds, he was standing in the doorway, again asked for cigarettes, and then hit the employee in the face and kicked her when she went to get out of the chair. She fell to the floor and he struck her several more times. He then got money from the cash register and fled.