Press Release: Food Not Bombs Solidarity Rally–Locals Rally with Father Nathan against Orlando’s Food Sharing Ban
June 29, 2011 – Pensacola, FL – Father Nathan Monk, along with local Food Not Bombs supporters, are holding one of eight statewide Food Not Bombs solidarity rallies in Florida on Friday, July 1st, in front of Pensacola City Hall from 5:30-8:30PM. Similar events are being held by homeless advocacy groups in Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Tarpon Springs, Melbourne and Tallahassee.
Food Not Bombs, a philanthropic organization that distributes free food to the poor, has faced numerous arrests since 2006 after an Orlando food distribution ban was put into place. The ban was suspended pending a federal case but the City of Orlando resumed arrests last month. So far 22 arrests of volunteers have been made for giving out free food.
“We stand along side Food Not Bombs and any person who wishes to distribute free food to those who are in need. Beyond this we are standing up for those who are hungry and forgotten, as it is them who are suffering at the hands of this unjust policy.”, Father Nathan said.
Father Nathan Monk is also scheduled to speak at a protest in Orlando later next month. The protest is scheduled to be held Saturday the 9th of July at 4:00PM in Lake Eola Park. Father Nathan will be giving a prepared statement on the issues in Orlando and immediately following will distribute a hot meal of loaves and fishes to all who are present.
“The criminalization of public service to the poor is to criminalize poverty itself.” Father Nathan said, “The continued efforts of the City of Orlando to prevent distribution of food to the poor is a violation of the Constitution at its highest form. To prevent one human from reaching out to help another human in need is contrary to the decency we have all been taught from our youth.”
A Facebook event page has been set up for both events and an estimated crowd of 300 people is expected at the Orlando event.