Last night, PensaCon released a statement regarding the bomb threat the convention received on Friday, Feb. 15.
Contrary to reports made on social media, PensaCon organizers said the anonymous threat–that was received on the contact form on its website–was given to law enforcement within two hours of receipt.
Law enforcement traced the post to an IP address located out of the U.S. According to PensaCon, the threat may be connected to threats the convention received over the past week after a Pensacon guest accused a well-known voice actor of sexual misconduct.
The organizers said they have stepped up security for the convention runs from Friday, Feb. 22-Sunday, Feb. 24. None of the PensaCon’s schedule has been altered.
“Providing a safe event for our ticket-holders, staff, volunteers and featured guests that is free of intimidation, threats or violence towards others is a part of our mission and will always be a top priority for Pensacon.”PensaCon CEO Mike Ensley
Ensley referred questions regarding the investigation to the Pensacola Police Department.
Inweekly reporter Jeremy Morrison tried to speak with Ensley yesterday but the CEO had been advised by PPD not to speak with any media.
Inweekly has a public request with PPD regarding the threat and has yet to receive the information it requested.
Organizers of Pensacon say local authorities are conducting an investigation into the source of an online threat which reads, in part: “Stop acting like big shots …Time to purge earth from all social justice warriors and npc’s. Time to eradicate. You better have a freaking bomb squad at the next Pensacon and Kevlar.” The anonymous post, which arrived through the contact form on the Pensacon website, was received in the early morning hours of Feb. 15 and turned over to law enforcement within two hours.
Somewhat rambling and filled with expletives, the post was traced to an IP address located out of the U.S. according to authorities, and may be related to threats Pensacon received over the past week after a Pensacon guest accused a well-known voice actor of sexual misconduct. The organizers have stepped up security for the three-day event while the investigation progresses. to threats Pensacon received over the past week after a Pensacon guest accused a well-known voice actor of sexual misconduct.
While security has always been tight for the annual event, additional measures are being put into place this year as a result of the recent threat, said Ensley, who added that Pensacon is also creating a designated safe area for protestors. “I may not agree with them, but I respect the right of any person to peacefully protest or air their viewpoints, and Pensacon remains committed to providing a safe event for everyone.”
The Pensacon schedule has not been altered and the event kicks off Friday at 1pm. “Thousands of volunteer and staff hours have gone into this year’s Pensacon,” said Ensley. “It’s time for us to let the professionals in law enforcement handle the investigation of threats and keep our focus on the work of creating the best Pensacon possible.”